March is Taste Washington Wine Month! Impress your friends with the five fun facts below. And find insider tips on how to celebrate #WAWineMonth here!
Wallula Vineyards, Pacific Rim Winery
Did You Know?
1. Washington State is the 2nd largest wine producer in the U.S.
2. The WA wine industry generates more than $3 billion to the state economy and it employs more than 14,000 people directly and indirectly.
3. More than 30 grape varieties are grown in Washington, about 50% red and 50% white.
4. The Top 3 White Grapes planted in Washington are Chardonnay, Riesling, and Pinot Gris.
5. The Top 3 Red Grapes planted in Washington are Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah.
Rebecca fell in love with wine — Castello Banfi Brunello in particular — on a cliché semester abroad in Italy. A Texas native, she has traveled to wine regions throughout France, as well as to Portugal, South Africa, and across the U.S. In addition to earning a BA from Duke University (Go Blue Devils!) and an MBA from Columbia Business School, Rebecca holds an Advanced with Merit certification from the WSET and was a founding contributor of the popular wine industry blog Terroirist.